Hiring an outsourcing consultant is the fast track to low cost, high quality Philippine outsourcing. Without a consultant, you’re likely to spend dozens or hundreds of hours researching outsourcing and implementing trial and error tests until you get the right set-up for your company. With an outsourcing consultant, you can go straight to a profitable system.
There are 4 key areas of expertise that an outsourcing consultant can help you with, resources, cultural issues, legal issues and environmental issues. All 4 of these require deep knowledge and experience to prevent costly mistakes in your Philippine outsourcing.
1. Resources for Finding/Managing Outsourcers
- Where do you find a high quality, reliable outsourcer?
- How much should you pay?
- How do you deal with time zone issues?
- What outsourcer management systems are available?
All of these questions are vital questions that lead straight to money savings or money spending. A good outsourcing consultant is familiar with the choices available and can guide you to the best. The consultant also monitors the internet for new developments that could save you time and money. A short consultation can save you hours of research.
2. Cultural Issues for Philippine Outsourcing
- How do you know if your outsourcer really understands her instructions?
- Does “I can do that” mean that it will get done?
- Are you hiring a single person to work for you, or are they using friends and relatives to complete the job?
- What is the hidden social “code” in their resumes that tells you how experienced they really are?
- How do you tell if their English is really good?
- Does an 8 hour work day mean working 8 hours?
Obviously working with Filipinos will mean cultural differences and sensitivity to cultural assumptions will make your experience with your outsourcers much smoother. Equally important, understanding the cultural framework of your Philippine outsourcers will make sure that your expectations are realistic and that they are met. An outsourcing expert can guide you through this maze.
3. Legal Issues in the Philippines
- Are there legal holidays and do you have pay for them?
- What benefits are customary?
- What are the vacation expectations?
- Are there any tax forms you must fill out?
- Is there a minimum wage law? Maximum hours per week?
Working internationally can mean a complicated mess of paperwork if you don’t know what you’re doing. An outsourcing consultant will provide you with all the information you need to keep your outsourcing records simple and your costs low.
4. Philippine Environmental Issues
- How often are there power outages?
- How good is the internet service?
- How often to Hurricanes and natural occurrences affect work?
If you have not visited the Philippines, it is hard to know what are reasonable expectations for the work environment of your outsourcers. Third world countries are not as developed as the US, and yet their major cities are quite modern. You don’t want to overestimate the work environment, but nor should you underestimate it. A consultant can help you find the reasonable middle ground that keeps your costs and stress low, and the quality and profits high.